Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Open Arms

Having just had a meeting at Nelson School Of Music I now have a lot to think about. I've heard what I wanted to hear, for example;
  • "we'd welcome you with open arms"
  • "there is a real need for woodwind teaching here, it's quite weak at the moment"
  • "don't think you'd have a problem finding work here"
  • "you're probably in a strong position to get residency here, however there is a lot of bureacracy here"
  • "Nelson is quite a small conservative place"
  • I'm yet to find out what level of pay there is here, but privately it's $40 per hour, some are charging as high as $60 ($2.70=1 UK pound). Itinerant teachers are salaried for 52 weeks of the year, holiday pay at last. So I'll think about it and do more research into moving and working here.

    I visited Mr Music, Neville, who was friendly, encouraging and upbeat about the music scene in Nelson and environs. I initially went there to buy a second-hand treble recorder if he had one, but alas no. Interesting shop with numerous new and second-hand instruments including pianos. Rather fancied the Eavestaff Mini Royal.

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home