Sunday, December 19, 2004

NZ's First Railway

NEW ZEALAND'S FIRST RAILWAY THE PORT NELSON-DUN MOUNTAIN HORSE DRAWN RAILWAY WAS OPENED HERE ON 3 FEBRUARY 1862

This was the start of my short ride uphill today. Round Sugar Loaf following the river then branching uphill on a track which was sometimes the course of the railway, no tracks left now though.

Tried to record Tuis but every time I stopped and found a place to put the mic out of the wind and have a co-operative Tui, flies would descend on me and the mic. So got some great fly recordings. Nevermind, I had a good ride, up and down hill and avoided being chased by a bull. Was a lovely sunny day, back by 5pm to go to the cathedral with Angela, who was reading a Lesson in the Nine Lessons & Carols Service at 6pm. Many of the congregation asked about Dad, who is Music Director. Angela introduced me to a number of people including the Bishop. Really quite a lovely service. My first time inside the cathedral. Was rather mesmerised by the purple light caused by sunlight streaming through a stained glass window directly on to the large wooden crucifix above the alter. It moved through the course of the service. I prayed for Dad... of course.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home