Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Auckland

Well I got here in one piece, now in Domestic Departures and my connecting flight to Nelson is delayed by an hour, so leaving at 9.25am. It's a really long flight here. I got quite indignant at Los Angeles airport. We disembark then queue for ages to go through a security check which included being finger printed and had a photo taken. I wasn't entering the USA so feel that this was totally unecessary infringement of my liberty. All to do with 9/11 apparently, feels more like a way of engendering panic and fear. Talking to two fellow passengers on the way shortened the journey time, and they were good company. A theological student setting out on an adventure round NZ, Australia and Asia and a lecturer in Geology from Imperial College. I turned on my phone in Auckland and got a welcome text from NZ Vodaphone and a text message from Mike.
Just been talking to Patrick, a 21 year old Samoan, travelling alone and a bit nervous, this is only the second time he's left his tiny island somewhere out there in the Pacific. It warmish here now, but cloudy, the weather outlook for Nelson looks good though. Naturally really excited at the prospect of seeing Dad & Angela and Helen & Kemp.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home